This recipe comes from the book ‘ Vedge’ (by Rich Landau & Kate Jacoby) and has been tried, tested and praised by Alida.
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (vegan)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup red beet juice (squeeze the gratings from 1/2 a beet through a sieve to get this beet juice)
1. Add chocolate chips to a bowl
2. Heat up the coconut milk, stir in cornstarch and salt. Make sure the cornstarch dissolves completely.
3. After 2 minutes you should have a thicker consistency. Stir in the beet juice immediately.
4. Strain this mixture of coconut milk and beet juice through a sieve over the chocolate cips
5. Wisk the chocolate mixture thoroughly until all chocolate has melted. Pour mixture in serving dishes and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. They will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
(6. If you feel like having a fancy dessert, sprinkle some pink beetroot powder on top, prior to serving)