One of my friends made this dish for me a few weeks ago and I thought it was delicious. Of course I asked him the recipe immediately afterwards, so that I could make it myself too. When vegan month started I knew that this was the recipe I wanted to do for sure. Pasta with lentils is called Pasta con Lenticchie in Italian and is an unconventional pasta recipe. And actually that is very strange, because pasta with lentils is really a delicious combination in tomato sauce. In short, a tasty pasta recipe to try for the variation! Pasta with lentils, buon appetito!
50 min cooking time
- 200g of pasta
- 200g red lentils
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 200ml Italian vegan red wine
- 400g peeled tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 500ml vegetable broth
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
How I make it:
- Remove the skin from the onion and garlic and cut into small pieces. Cut the green top of the chilli and then also into small pieces. Heat the vegetable broth.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and when the olive oil is hot, put the onion, garlic and chilli pepper in the pan. Fruit these ingredients for a few minutes, so that the taste comes loose. Make sure that the garlic does not go too fast, because brown garlic tastes bitter and that’s not good.
- Now also add the lentils to the pan and stir in the onion, garlic and chilli pepper. It is the intentions that the flavors that are already in the pan can easily get into the lentils. Extinguish the lentils with the Italian red wine. Let the wine boil gently, so that the taste can develop properly and the lentils can suck themselves full.
- Then put the peeled tomatoes in the pan together with the tomato puree. Stir the lentils well through the tomato sauce and add some sea salt and pepper. Finally add the broth and let the lentils boil for 45 minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Check the lentils regularly and when the lentils are almost ready, you can start cooking the pasta. To do this, put a pot of water on the fire and let it boil. When the water is boiling, put the pasta in the pan. Cook the pasta ‘al dente’, the pasta is completely cooked, but has a bite.
- If the pasta has the right texture, pour the pasta and put it back in the pan immediately. Stir some of the tomato sauce with lentils through the pasta to prevent the paste from sticking.
- Serve the pasta with lentils in deep pasta plates and add a little bit of the tomato sauce over it. Finally garnish with some fresh parsley. This recipe for pasta with lentils in now completely finished. Enjoy!
This recipe is part of LUGO’s vegan challenge. In the month of April the LUGO team isn’t consuming any animal products and we hope you’ll join us! A yummy new recipe will be posted twice a week, to make sure this month isn’t so much a challenge as an opportunity to try new things while benefitting the environment!