*This recipe is originally taken from the following website and modified to make it vegan-friendly
- 1 TABLESPOON VEGETABLE OIL
- 3 ESCHALOTS
- 2 CLOVES GARLIC, CRUSHED
- 3CM PIECE GINGER, PEELED AND GRATED
- ¼ CUP (75G) STORE-BOUGHT THAI RED CURRY PASTE
- 750G SWEET POTATO, PEELED AND CHOPPED
- 1 LITRE VEGETABLE STOCK
- 1 X 400ML CAN COCONUT MILK
- 2 TABLESPOONS SOY SAUCE
- 2 TABLESPOONS LIME JUICE
- 2 X 400G CANS LENTILS, DRAINED AND RINSED
- ½ CUP CORIANDER LEAVES, FINELY CHOPPED
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the eschalot and garlic and cook for 3–4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet potato, stock, coconut milk, soy sauce and lime juice, bring to the boil and cook for 10–15 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Remove from the heat and, using a hand-held electric blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir through the lentils and return to the heat for a further 1 minute or until the lentils are warmed through.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top with the coriander. Serve with crusty bread and butter.